Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Landscapes from Home

My first step of research is looking back at my own photography of landscapes from home. They are from around British Columbia. Looking back is a way for me to see what I have accomplished before, and what I felt worked and didn't work within each image.

Dougan's Lake, Cowichan Valley, British Columbia. 
This image is completely unedited. Taken December 30, 2010.
I like the darker areas of the image and the colours of the sky are very nice and subdued. The silhouettes are very effective, but find the foreground a little cluttered with too many reeds. A more effective image would have been to move the camera angle a little, to eliminate some of the forground. Or else more in the foreground would have been better.

Cobble Hill, Cowichan Valley, British Columbia.
This image is completely unedited. Taken January 9th, 2011.
This is one of my favourite areas in the Cowichan Valley, although I find the image looks too cluttered, with trees and shrubs. The house is a little too hidden. There would be few ways to change this image from looking too cluttered as the landscape can not be altered, but for a better image, taking the photograph at another time of year might have been more effective.

View of Saanich Inlet, British Columbia.
This image is completely unedited. Taken January 1st, 2011.
I dont really know if I like this image or not.. maybe there is not enough colour? The overhanging tree branches also are distracting from the scenery of the image. Taking this image from a lower persepective and closer to the edge of the water would help to eliminate the branches. The log in the middle of the water is really effective as it creates a point of interest in the photograph.

So these are my most recent landscapes. Soon I will dig into the depths of my hard drive, and find some from the last few years.

1 comment:

  1. Hmm - forgive me but I'm gonna push you to be a little more reflective again - too cluttered for what? You make evaluative remarks but you don't really say what the intention is or interpret what you've made. Criticism often follows three phases: Description, Interpretation and Evaluation (or as Naomi once pointed out to me DIE!). Someone who's really good to read in this regard is Terry Barrett (there are copies of Criticising Photographs in the library) Also do read this:
    http://www.terrybarrettosu.com/pdfs/Barrett%20(2006)%20Photo%20Encyclopedia,%20Interpretation.pdf

    ReplyDelete